Chapter 13 Process
A Chapter 13 Plan can take between 3 and 5 years to complete
The goal in a Chapter 13 is to file a plan and get it confirmed by the bankruptcy judge. Like in a Chapter 7 case, you will attend a 341 Meeting of Creditors with your attorney. However, you may also attend a Confirmation Hearing which is held about 2 1/2 months after filing. Routinely, though, this meeting is canceled if your attorney is able to get the plan confirmed before then. MyBankruptcyTeam is prepared to not only write a plan that promotes the smallest monthly payment possible, but will usually get the plan confirmed so you will not attend the second hearing.
Your confirmed plan will require 36 to 60 monthly payments before your debts are discharged. The length of the plan and the size of the payments will be calculated by us and your attorney.
Prepare to File
- You meet with the attorney for a free consultation.
- We help you complete the Client Intake Form and provide us with necessary documents the court will need.
- You take the Prefiling Credit Counseling course.
- We help slow down the annoying creditor calls.
- We author the 50 to 60 page petition. You meet with the attorney to sign your bankruptcy petition and plan the filing date.
After Filing the Case
- We make sure all creditors receive notice of your case and your attorney will deal with creditors who had threatened foreclosure, garnishment, repossession, eviction, etc.
- We prepare you for the 341 hearing with the trustee and write the Chapter 13 Plan.
- We provide the trustee with all necessary documents to prepare for the 341 hearing.
- You attend the hearing with your attorney.
- You take the Postfiling Personal Financial Management Course after confirmation.
After the 341 Hearing
- Your attorney will coordinate with the trustee after the hearing to meet all directives and work to confirm your Plan.
- We coordinate with the trustee, secured creditors and priority creditors to get your payment as low as possible.
- We attend the confirmation hearing, if we need to discuss any final details with the trustee and judge.
- We provide you with a copy of the confirmed Plan and stay with you for the life of the Plan.
A Chapter 13 case requires great attention to detail. We will help you through the process and make sure your debts are discharged and your Plan is confirmed without any issues.
FROM OUR CLIENTS
David helped my brother resolve a case that was dragging on and on with a public defender within 10 days of me reaching out to him (and got a much better deal for my brother). Worth the money and is very nice to work with!
Mr. Moorhead is professional and intelligent. He is extremely good at navigating the legal system. I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of legal services.
David Moorhead was a miracle worker. We hired him to finish a case that kept going on and on for years by an overworked public defender. He got it done in days. Not only did he get it done in days, he went beyond what we hired him to do and got a way better agreement than we anticipated. I can’t recommend him enough.